THE HISTORY OF SQUADRON A
It all started in 1884, when 18 young equestrians joined together first as a political club and then as an exclusive troop cavalry – The New York Hussars – known for its fine riding and elegant uniforms. The Hussars came quickly into demand to ride in parades and at the National Horse Show.
On April 2, 1889, the group, then some fifty-three strong, was mustered into the National Guard as NGSNY, as Squadron A, the first cavalry arm of the Guard of the State of New York. The Squadron was often called out to escort presidents, governors and foreign dignitaries. Squadron A troopers were sent to Puerto Rico to serve in the Spanish-American war and the entire squadron was called into federal service in 1916 to patrol the Mexican border.
During World War I 796 Squadron A members served and 609 became commissioned officers. The battalion played an important role in smashing through the Hindenberg Line. Squadron A brought home three Congressional Medals of Honor, 17 Legion of Honor awards and 24 Crois de Guerre.
After the war, Squadron A became famous for its appearances at parades, and particularly for its polo matches, and social events at the armory at Madison Ave and 94th Street.
In January, 1941, some 11 months before Pearl Harbor, the Squadron was federalized as the 101st Cavalry with two troops becoming mechanized and one remaining horse. During World War II,its members became part of the crack 101st Cavalry Group, code named Wingfoot, which fought gallantly in Germany and Austria. Members of the Squadron earned 2 Congressional Medals of Honor, 5 French Legion of Honor Awards, 5 Order of the British Empire, 10 Distinguished Flying Crosses and many other honors including a Presidential Unit Citation.
Today the heritage and spirit of Squadron A is carried on by the Squadron A Association.
The Squadron A Association maintains offices and a squad room at the Womens National Republican Club, just off Fifth Ave in New York City.