The Squadron A Association is a volunteer, social and philanthropic organization which provides a venue for like minded men and women to continue, preserve and forward the traditions, memory and contributions of Squadron A and the Horse Cavalry.
Squadron A was founded in New York on April 2, 1889 when 53 members of the First New York Hussars were mustered in to the New York National Guard as an independent Horse Troop. Squadron A is deeply steeped in equitation, horse cavalry and military tradition and has continuously been associated with the 101st Cavalry of the New York Army National Guard.
Philanthropically, the Associations Foundation is an IRS recognized 501(c) 3 organization which promotes activities related to equitation, horse therapeutic riding and cavalry traditions. It funds such purposes from the New York Community Trust as well as funding related charitable, literary and educational activities of the Association. It also provides scholarships to members and the families of the 101st Cavalry.
The Associations headquarters is in the heart of Manhattan at a clubhouse where food, lodging (28 rooms with private baths), social club activities, lectures and meeting rooms and conference facilities are made available to its members. In addition, the Association has reciprocal agreements with similar clubs worldwide.